Monday, July 23, 2007

Las Vegas

I came out here on the 19th of July with my kids for our annual vacation.

We took a flight from MM airport Lagos to Schiphol, Amsterdam and spent about 6 hours on air. We also had a waiting time of 3 hours before we connected to North Western NW to Detroit. That was another tiresome 8-9 hours on air. We got into the American airspace and had to go through Customs and Border protection CBP officials. There the officer looked my passport up and asked what I had spent the longest period in the US in '04 doing and I confirmed that I had my last baby during that period. Having said that he went on to enquire what I/husband did for a living, If I was pregnant again and how long I was staying on this trip. I answered him to the best of my ability because their system never lies.. from there I knew he could tell where I worked because earlier on in '07 I had toured 3 US cities -NY, DC & Houston AND we had had a running march with the CBP at NY airport. We came for an Investment promotion roadshow for my company and so had tons of promotional materials which they labelled commercial merchandise (though branded with our logo!). We spent 5 hours at the airport with them arguing and basically trying to get the duty down. So I know for sure that that info would pop up alond side my name.

I was not pregnant and without much ado he gave us up to Jan 08 the mandatory six months window to stay.

My kids and I just barely made it to the next NW flight to Las Vegas and that was another 3-4 hours on the air.

We had in all logged about 20 hours of flight time and I did this with children btw the ages of 8 and 2. It was great self-fulfilling prophesy of agony!

Finally we got picked up by our gracious hosts, Eudy and Pete and we proceeded through the rustic, dusty and Xtreme hot highways of Vegas passing through exciting landmarks that I only got to know about through James Hardley Chase novels and lastly the very recent, Ocean's 13 movie.

Proud to say that I keep very well indoors and out of the merciless sun which is akin to what you would find in the hot deserts of the Sahara and maybe the borders of Chad republic. Where I can only imagine that the hottest temperatures exist.

I have taken to night crawling i.e, coming out only at night to get groceries and to shop. While we sit waiting for my first son's appointment with the doctor's for minor surgery, I bid my time to update you each day on the beauties of Vegas.

So stayed tuned to this page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck in the Las Vegas heat Judy! That's all I can say. 'was there early March on a conference and I almost fried to death, phew!
But you could take a day out to cool off in San Diego, beautiful blue waters and the kids will enjoy the Sea world and Zoo.
Ifeoma A