Monday, June 11, 2007

What do we call this - mid career crisis?

I do not know how many women out there can identify with this situation - You are suddenly at a point in your life where you must stop in order to grow! You have children (which is perfect) AND a career that feels not quite so perfect. You know in your heart that you must change, positively so that you can catch up. May be it has to do with giving life to your children, maybe it has to do with multitasking your life away or maybe you just expect so much of yourself or may be just not! For me, there are times when I feel that I should have given that shot at MBA good opportunity to thrive rather than get married immediately after university and proceed to procreate. That might have been better career wise because I graduated with the best degree result in my year and my Thesis supervisor felt I had done brilliant research! I suppose I should support myself and get back and do the MBA but it does not work out quite so easily....
1. What does one do with 3 children while leaving your country to study for an MBA ?
2. How does the Husband cope for 18 months plus?
3. Who will ensure that home standards are maintained?
4. How do balance off preparing for GMAT with work and home issues because you want to get into the top grad schools with possibly a scholarship?
5. How do you support this 12 year old dream? (age is not on my side, as well) Any Answers?

7 comments:

Day Dreamer said...

Hello Judy,

Welcome to blogging.

Drop by my site www.financemind.com if you have time. My site offers free information on personal finance, money management and budgeting. I'm sure the info on my site will benefit your visitors to see the same issues from a different perspective.

If you like my articles, you are most welcome to link to me. I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

hi, i beleive continuous education. as long as you keep learning, i am sure you can find answers to your questions. in the meantime, you find solace in your family.

kumcheong
singapore
http://soccerpedia.blogspot.com

Judy123 said...

Hi Day dreamer, Sure to visit your blog soon and will link you as well.Thanks much!


Kumcheong... Thanks for the heads up!

Good luck in your endeavours, guys!

bigdreams said...

im a woman too, with 2 kids and a career so i really understand what ur talking about here but make no mistake about it, whatever has happened to you in ur life right up till now is perfectly okay. ur life couldnt have been any better. Quit nurturing regrets in any aspect of ur life. Never look back and say what if? Look ahead. Take what you have now (ur partner, kids, education, job, rships, finances, etc )and make the best out of them. Secondly assess ur motives, deeply investigate ur intentions. Ask urself some questions that only u can answer. Why am i pursuing an MBA? analyse the reasons. Is dis the best time to do it? can i do it at a later date? will it be worth it then? am i doing it to get a better job/pay package? is there anyother thing i can do to get a pay rise elsewhere? how young are my kids now? can they be left with their father till i come back? can i go wih my kids? will it be worth it? is it somthing i want to do? will i end up having pangs of guilt? Is my man the type i can leave for 18 months and trust that I wont come back to meet someoe else has taken over my household? how strong is he? only u knows and can answer these questions. I have a friend who left her 4 kidds aged 1-7 and went to get a degree in the UK, everyday she cries for and with her kids on the phone. i told her, "the way ur going u probably wont complete this degree and she agreed completely." So really its all up to you. what really do u want to do and can u justify it. If u can then i'll tell you march on, damn everyone else and their opinions, and follow ur dreams but if u feel something is not quite right, then exercise caution, wait a bit, wait for ur own convictions, dont do anything u dont feel comfortable doing,and remember there is no such thing as "late" except in the grave. The world is ur oyster...
Keep hope alife..

Judy123 said...

Big Dreams, Thanks a lot! It so obvious am at THAT place and time in my life right now...Will surely get there soon. This MBA has been my 12 yr dream and yes I will leave with my children for the acultureration. This will completely swerve my lifestyle, comfort zone and I guess that is the reason why I am going thru this phase.

Anonymous said...

Sure, getting married and having kids slow down women in terms of career advancement. It is perhaps most glaring in the Nigerian context where the months of caring for children are not counted for you.
Nevertheless, the maturity of character, resilience, calm confidence and intergrity amongst others that come with managing home and work are immeasurable qualities.

As for your MBA dreams, I'd say if ur partner's backing u 100%, there's no end to what u can achieve. I got my PharmD a few years ago not just 'cos I was the brightest or the most hardworking, but I had my husband backing me all the way. 'cos believe it or not, u'll have to make adjustments and u need to be mentally prepared for the challenges that come with it.

Whatever step u decide on, I'll be rooting for you.

Meanwhile, u're much prettier than this pix potrays.
Take care.
Ifeoma.

Judy123 said...

Ifeoma, I still admire you, we come from a long way off. Am so pleased about your PharmD attainment. God bless you and your family!